This is the best and the easiest to read blackjack guide online.
In this guide, you will learn how to play blackjack in a way that will reduce the house edge.
Additionally, you will find a list of the top 10 casino sites to play this game, along with seven of my very best game tips.
Let’s move on:
Best Blackjack casinos
Tip: Try our Blackjack basic strategy charts and increase your chances of winning!
Royal Panda9.3NZ$ 1000+ 5% cashback bonus3000+ gamesTop up-bonus on every depositDaily casino rewards
Hell Spin9.7NZ$ 1200+ 150 free spins7500+ gamesHall of flameA lot of gaming providers
Leovegas9.7NZ$ 1500+ 150 free spins and 50 cashspins2380+ gamesMassive win potentialSpectacular selection of games
Jackpot Molly9.3NZ$ 2450+ 321 free spins850+ gamesLoyalty rewards programVIP Club
Woo casino9.5NZ$ 300+ 200 free spins2000+ gamesCustomer support: 24/7Lightning-fast deposits and withdrawals
VegasKings8.6NZ$ 1000+ 200 free spins500 gamesAccepts NZ dollarsLoyalty rewards program
Dolly casino9.3NZ 1000+ 100 free spins4000+ gamesMonthly tournamentsVIP advantages
PlayOjo9.680 spinsNO WAGER3000+ gamesMoneyback on every betOJO Wheel
Casino Universe9.1NZ$ 500+ 20% daily cashback4000+ gamesWeekly bonusesEvery players is an VIP
FireVegas8.8NZ$ 1000+ 100 free spins3000 gamesDaily cash turnamentsVIP membership
Wazamba9.3NZ$ 2000+ 150 spins & 1 bonus crab2500+ gamesSportsbook & casinoGamificated user expiriance
SpinYoo9.1NZ$ 2000+ 100 spins2000+ gamesExclusive Yoo Club rewardsDaily promotions
NeonVegas9500% bonusup to NZ$ 5001000+ gamesDaily rewardsLow wager requirement
Luckland8.8NZ$ 2000200 free spins800+ gamesSports & casinoExclusive club
Casumo9.3NZ$ 1200+ 20 no deposit spins2000+ gamesCustomer support: 24/7Fast payout processing time
Did you know: At Twin casino you get NZ$ 10 in bonus each time you hit 21 in Blackjack!
New Blackjack tips
First of all, there are two different types of blackjack games that are offered online. You can play either against a computer or against a real dealer.
More intresting blackjack articles:
- Best Blackjack movies of all time
- How to become a Blackjack dealer
- 5 ways to cheat in Blackjack
- Biggest mistakes made Blackjack players
- When to and when NOT to double down in Blackjack!
- Where can i play Blackjack for free without registration?
- How to count cards in Blackjack!
- Why does deck size matter in BlackJack?
Types of online Blackjack at a casino
You will find two main types of blackjack games at online casinos. These are:
- RNG blackjack (it is played against software known as the Random Number Generator)
- Live blackjack (it is played live against the real human dealer).
This is an option a player is given when playing online blackjack. You play it on a virtual table against the Random Number Generator (RNG).
RNG online blackjack can be played for free at almost every casino, even without creating an account. This is a great chance to get to know the game better before making a deposit.
Live online blackjack is an option that allows the player to face a live dealer and play against them online, from the comfort of their home.
This represents an interesting way to play where you can chat with the dealer and other players in real-time.
Now that you know a bit more about the types of blackjack, we can proceed and learn the essential rules that will reduce the house edge by several percents.
How to play Blackjack
Blackjack is a game where you play against the house and not other players.
The goal of the game is to beat the dealer, which can be done in three different ways.
Here are the three most common ways and outcomes that you can expect:
- If the value number of cards goes over 21 for the dealer, then it is considered a bust, and you will automatically win.
- Cards having a total value of 21 are called blackjack, and if you have this hand that hand, you will automatically win.
- If the dealer and the player both get 21, then the game is considered a draw. This means the dealer and the player(s) get to take their bets back and no one loses chips or money.
To be able to win, you must first learn what the different notions mean, the value of the cards, what payouts the different bets give, and then weld together this knowledge to understand how to play this game.
The game begins when a croupier deals the cards. We put bets and follow the course of the game. In the text below, we will explain what options we can play when we get the cards.
- Hit: This happens when you or the dealer has been dealt two cards, and you decide you would like to be dealt another card to add to the total card value. You are basically telling the dealer to give you one more card.
- Stand: This happens when you or the dealer decides that their total card value is already as high as they would like it to be, so you don’t want any more cards from the deck. Double: First of all, you only get the chance to double once during the game, and this is immediately after you have been dealt your two cards. When you double, you actually double your bet, and you can now only get one more card.
- Split: This happens when you have two like cards in the hand and you want to split them and make two piles. For example, you have an ace and a seven in your hand. By splitting, you get two piles — the one with the ace and the one with the seven. It’s kind of like playing two rounds in just one round.
- Surrender: Just as it sounds, you do not feel that you will win and therefore, you give up immediately so you can keep half of the bet. (This is not recommended)
- Insurance: The option of buying insurance is offered when the ace is the dealer’s first face-up card. (This is not recommended)
As insurance, we can split half of our original bet, and bet on the dealer to win. If the dealer gets a blackjack, our insurance bet is paid 2:1, but our main bet is lost. We lose our insurance if the dealer does not have blackjack at the end of the hand.
To understand when to double, ask for cards, or fold, you must first understand the value of the cards so that you can predict your hand.
Blackjack card values
Card values in blackjack:
- Ace has a value of 1 or 11
- A queen and a 4 become 14
- An ace and a 4 become 5 or 15
- Colour of the cards does not play any role.
- Cards 2 through 10 are equal to the numerical value on the card.
- A hand that contains an ace changes its value and is called a soft hand.
- Jack, Queen, and King cards have a value of 10 and are referred to as face cards.
- A hand that does not have an ace is called a hard hand because it has only one value.
Now that you know how and where to play blackjack, let’s find out how payouts work.
- When you get blackjack (21 by getting ace and a 10), the payout is 3:2.
- If the dealer has 21 and you have 21 as well, it’s called a “push” or a “draw,” and no money will be taken or given by either side.
- If the dealer goes over (busts) or if you are closer to 21 than the dealer, you win.
- If you bust or have a lower total amount in your hand, the dealer wins and takes your bet.
Are there any strategies that can increase the chances of winning?
Blackjack cheat sheet (players decision)
There are strategies and blackjack cheat sheets that improve your chances of winning in the game.
These Blackjack cheat sheets or charts show:
- your hand value
- the dealer’s card
- and each letter symbolizing a game choice
Let’s say you play a single deck blackjack where the dealer hits on a soft 17.
Your card value is 15 and the dealer’s card value is 7; By a blackjack sheet, you are advised to choose H (Hit) (look at the image).
Online blackjack strategy calculator
The Blackjack Strategy Calculator or Hand Blackjack Calculator is a helpful innovation that shows players their best move for a particular blackjack hand.
There are so many different blackjack strategy calculators online that players can use.
These calculators work by entering the value of the dealer’s first card, your two cards, and the calculator will show you the best possible move you should play (stand, hit, split, double).
According to ultimate blackjack strategy charts, your best possible next move show each time you enter a particular hand example.
The most significant advantage is that they are fast and easy to use.
Much easier than a blackjack chart with hundreds of numbers and combinations that can confuse you while looking for the best hand combination during the game.
The blackjack game is played on a specially designed table in a semi-circular shape.
The number of players at the blackjack table ranges from 5, 7 and even 12 seats.
The most common is a five and seven-seater blackjack table with each player’s separate square or circle.
Once you are seated, you need to place your bet in the betting circle or square in front of you.
Only chips in the betting square will be considered a bet for the upcoming hand.
The base of the table is usually light green or blue.
In the middle of the table, it usually writes the main rules regarding the payout and the style of play of the dealer.
When it comes to a blackjack table there are a few important thongs new players need to understand, including:
- Position at table: Most expirenced blackjack players will reccomend that the best position at blackjack table is the one that last act. At the full blackjack table nest position is the seat farthest left when you are faced to the dealer. This is also called as #thirdbaseposition.
- Blackjack table minimums: Most blackjack table will require a NZD5 or NZD10 as minimum buy in amount, lately there are many tables with NZD 25 buy in. But when it comes to online casinos, players can find tables from NZD 0.10 up to NZD25.
- Blackjack tables for sale: There are great venues where you can buy cheap blackjack tables in many variants. Some of the best sites where you can check out prices and quality of tables include: www.tcsjohnhuxley.com, www.casinosupply.com, or www.americangamingsupply.com.
Before you start playing online, I think you should learn a few things about how online casinos work.
Things good to know about online Blackjack games
Online blackjack games work in the same way as their offline counterparts. What differs and what we feel you should know as a player are the following things:
- In online casinos, you cannot count cards when playing blackjack. This is because the casino uses a new virtual deck of cards at each game round.
- The online version offers more variants of the game than land-based casinos. This means that some online blackjack games may have their own rules that the classic game does not follow. For example, there is a version where the dealer always stands on soft 17.
- At an online casino, you can always click on the info icon during the game and get all the information about the game, such as the game’s RTP, game rules, card values, and other essential things.
7 great game tips that works online
The best game tips
Beginner strategies, guidelines and/or hints for beginners.
1. Learn the basic rule of the game:
Learn the basic rules of the game so you do not make unnecessary beginner mistakes.
2. When to split:
Most experts agree that we should always split when we have an ace or an 8 on hand.
3. When to stand:
You should always stay if you have 17 or higher values on the cards.
4. When to always draw a new card:
You should always take a new card when you have an 8 or lower card.
5. Learn how much you can win on different bets:
In the “Payouts” section, we go through how much profit a winning hand generates. Learn how much you can win, depending on what bets you make.
6. When to surrender:
Folding is not often a good choice, but there are several scenarios where you simply assume that the chance of winning is too small. In these cases, it may be wise to quit and keep half the money. We go through all these scenarios further down the page.
7. What is insurance in blackjack and why you should never use it:
The casino offers insurance when it has an ace in its hand. The insurance costs half as much as your original bet. In order for you to benefit from it, the casino must get a 10 and win. You will then get back half of the money. As you can probably figure out, this is an attractive offer that should be avoided because the chance of winning and the profit are quite small.
How do i get started?
How do I get started and how long does it take before I can start playing?
- The first thing you have to do is choose a casino. Visit its website and click on register.
- Enter your information such as your name, address, email, and other things that the casino requires.
- Once you’re done with the registration form, the casino will send you an email. Open it, and click on the verification link.
- Your account is activated, and you can now visit the casino and start playing.
- However, you are not really ready to start playing yet! First, you need to log in and make your first deposit.
- Note that different payment methods have different withdrawal times. So if you want to get your winnings paid out quickly, then you should choose a fast payment method from the start.
- Go to the live casino, select a blackjack game, and click play.
*If you want to play for free, then you don’t have to create an account. These steps apply only if you want to play for real money.
Fun fact: How much can i bet?
How much we can bet per hand varies from casino to casino, but the most common bets are:
- NZ$5 dollars/bet
- NZ$25 dollars/bet
- NZ$100 dollars/bet VIP
- players can get higher limits
But…what about if I don’t want to play in the live casino? Well, then you can choose from different RNG blackjack games.
Popular types of RNG Blackjack
Online casinos offer different types of RNG blackjack games. Considering the vast number of casino game developers, it is not surprising to see so many different types of this popular game.
Below we have listed the two most popular online blackjack types of game that you can play against the RNG.
European Blackjack is played with two, four, and even six decks. It is considered to be one of the most played games in land-based casinos across Europe.
The dealer always stands at soft 17 and draws at 16. Surrender is never allowed.
ATLANTIC CITY BLACKJACK
This card game is popular across America’s land-based casinos, but online too. Surrender is allowed.
The dealer also stands on soft 17. It is played with eight decks, and the game is popular due to its low house edge.
So this is our blackjack guide. What do you think? Feel free to rate our info so we can get better. Let us know what tips you use, what games you prefer, or ask a question about something we missed here.
New Zealand Casinos Tips
In addition to mastering the game of blackjack to optimise your chances of winning, you can also choose online casinos with better conditions.
At New Zealand Casinos™, we have created top lists of the very best casinos in different categories.
Just as you have learned to play the game of blackjack, you can, for example, learn how to take advantage of casino bonuses and use them when you play blackjack to get more money to play with.
These are the very best categories for blackjack players:
Top 10 best casino bonuses: New Zealand’s best casino bonuses. Go to toplist Top 10 fast payout casinos: Casinos with fast payouts. Go to toplist Top 10 live casinos: Play at the world’s best live casinos. Go to toplist
Do Blackjack dealers count cards?
No, blackjack dealers do not need to count cards, they get paid by the hour with a primary task to follow the game procedure, not to try to determine whether someone will win or lose.
However, if you are a blackjack player who counts the card, it is not the dealer’s job to determine if you are using that method.
There are employees in the casinos who watch the game at each table. As far as online blackjack is concerned, counting cards is impossible for both the player and the dealer.
In online blackjack, decks changes after each hand.
What is the best strategy for playing online blackjack?
The best blackjack strategy for a novice player would be to use a blackjack strategy chart.
There are many different blackjack strategy charts on the internet. Your task is to choose the one that best suits your style of play.
So when you select one, it would be best to play a few rounds for free and see if it works for you.
Many professional blackjack players will agree that it is not enough to use a basic strategy to win at blackjack.
However, knowing the strategy will not hurt you, but if you were successful at the blackjack table, it would be best to learn to count cards and deviations approaches.
What can happen if the casino caught me counting cards online?
Those players who know how to count cards in blackjack are not welcome at the casino.
If you play for big bucks and win, you will become suspicious of employees, and they will watch your game.
If they find you counting cards, they will put you out of the table, talk to you and set a limit for your bets.
If you disagree, staff will kick you out of the casino, and they will confiscate your winnings.
So if you plan to count cards, bet less amounts and play discreet.
Can i split twice in blackjack?
If you have chosen to play regular standard blackjack, the rules stipulate that you can split the hand a maximum of three times, which means you play 4 hands in one hand.
- Take, for example, the hand where you got J and 10, and you choose to split.
- After that, you have two hands on the table to play, the 10 and the J.
- If the next card drawn at 10 is Q, you have the right to repeat the split.
Before you start playing, check the game’s rules to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Can the blackjack dealer split?
No, blackjack dealers never split, double, or surrender.
When the dealer busts, all remaining players hands at the table win.
If a dealer stands on a soft 17 or 18, all remaining bets win if the hand’s value is higher than the dealer’s.
If the player’s hand value is lower than the dealer’s, the dealer wins.
What is soft 17 in Blackjack?
An Ace can be either 11 or 1, depending on the situation, and the soft 17 would be where the dealer has an Ace and a 6 (A/6).
That is soft 17 because it can be 17 or 7. So if the dealer hit that and get anything higher then a 4, they would not bust, because the ace would be calculated as 1 and not 11.
Can i count cards in online Blackjack?
In land-based casinos, some players know how to count cards and make money off it, but this is not the case in online casinos.
If you play against RNG, there is no way to count cards because the deck is changing after every hand.
There is a way to count cards in live casinos where the live dealer deals the cards, but you’d need to be an expert to do this.
How many decks do casinos use in online Blackjack?
In most cases, online blackjack casinos use eight, six, four, or two decks and shuffle after the half hand was dealt.
What is the probability of winning?
Card value 20 92 % chance of winning Card value 19 85 % chance of winning Card value 18 77 % chance of winning Card value 17 69 % chance of winning Card value 16 62 % chance of winning Card value 15 58 % chance of winning Card value 14 56 % chance of winning Card value 13 39 % chance of winning Card value 12 31 % chance of winning Card value 11 0 % chance of winning
What is the history of Blackjack?
The game dates back to the early 17th century, where we locate the first written clue about it in the book Rinconete and Cortadillo written by Miguel de Cervantes.
Cervantes is the author of the famous book Don Quixote and is known for being a gambler himself.
Rinconete and Cortadillo are two cheaters from Seville who make a living by cheating on the “Ventiuna” game (in Spanish ”21“).
The book says that the goal of the game is to reach the sum of cards 21 but not to exceed that sum.
It is also written that the ace in the game is worth 1 or 11.
The story was written around 1601. The game was later located in France, and after a while, it arrived in the USA as well. In the beginning, the casinos offered bonuses to entice players to play.
Today, this card game has many different types, and it is one of the most popular casino games in the world.
The first blackjack table in New Zealand was in the Christchurch casino.
The Christchurch casino was the first land-based casino in New Zealand, opened in 1994.
Today, it has 36 gaming tables with most popular casino games, including standard, plus, and 2$ blackjack.
- The book”The World’s Greatest Blackjack Book” by Lance Humble and Carl Cooper
- The book “Playing Blackjack as a Business” by Lawrence Revere
- The “American Casino Guide book” by Steve and Matt Bourie