Coronavirus (COVID-19) has shaken the entire planet, and so has the world of sports! Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, all sports events have been cancelled or postponed until further notice. The Football Association, the English Football League, the Premier League, have all currently postponed events until the beginning of April.
Here is the info on how coronavirus has influenced world sports events.
- The New Zealand Super Rugby season is suspended after the decision of the NZ government. All people entering this country will be quarantined for 14 days.
- On Monday (2020.03.16), the Gallagher Premiership was cancelled for 5 weeks.
- The Guinness PRO14 is suspended, and Premiership Rugby Cup final is postponed because some of the stuff had symptoms similar to coronavirus.
- Two members of Australian Sevens had symptoms similar to coronavirus, and following to that Rugby Australia closed headquarters in Sydney.
- All competitive matches in South Africa Rugby are cancelled until the 25th of April. All business travel and training camps of all national team are called off.
- Until the April 3, all rugby league fixtures are suspended (from community game to Betfred Super League)
- York City cancelled the Bootham Crescent availability, so the Coral Challenge Cup fixture (York City Knights vs Rochdale Hornets) was transferred to the Millennium Stadium.
- Four players from Canadian club Toronto Wolfpack showed coronavirus symptoms, so the whole their playing staff based in the UK has stood down. Four players have puted into self-isolation.
- Betfred Championship match between Dewsbury Rams and Toulouse has been postponed.
- New Zealand cricket season cancelled.
- Australian New Zealand tour has been pulled out.
- Test series between England and Sri Lanka has been postponed. Touring players are returning home.
- As a precautionary measure, the Indian Premier League postponed to April 15.
- Pakistan against Bangladesh test match and the April ODI has been postponed.
- All forms of cricket are cancelled for 60 days by Cricket South Africa.
- India vs South Africa (internationals) will be played behind closed doors.
- Ireland limited-overs tour in Zimbabwe is postponed.
- All remaining Europa League and Champion League fixtures are cancelled till further.
- European Championship 2020 is postponed for summer 2021.
- Top two division in France (Ligue 1 and Ligue 2) are postponed until further.
- England premier league is suspended until April 4. Mikel Arteta Arsenal’s head coach and Callum Hudson-Odoi have tested positive for COVID-19.
- All La Liga games in Spain are cancelled!
- Italian football Serie A cancelled!
- FAI ( Football Association of Ireland ) suspended until March 29.
Other postponed sport events
Above we have mentioned some of the most popular sports in New Zealand that are cancelled. Here is the list of all other postponed sports event due to pandemic of coronavirus.
Formula 1 and Formula E are postponed, Nascar also. Moto GP is cancelled. All basketball events are cancelled including the NBA. At least until April 3, all International Cycling Union events are postponed.
The BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, Miami Open tennis tournament, Volvo Car Open in Charleston, WTA and ATP are cancelled or postponed all events.
The Boxing, MMA, Snooker, Ice Skating, Judo, Darts, Ice Hockey, Netball and Tennis events are postponed or cancelled until further.
We can say that the whole world is stalled, we hope that this will all pass quickly and that we will continue with our lives soon. Take care!